With the midst of summer fastly approaching, k-pop fans are more than anxious for all of the shows and endless comebacks popping up week after week. Perhaps one of the biggest k-pop concerts to hit the U.S. is none other than KCON! You can catch the concert/convention in both L.A. (July 29-31) and N.Y. (June 24-25). KCON is an experience unlike any other where k-pop fans get to meet and greet their favorite idols, see them perform in concert, and enjoy a convention dedicated to all things that make Korean culture wonderful. From beauty products to food, the convention brings a piece of Korea to America! Down below are some helpful tips from a veteran KCON attendee (yours truly) to ensure your time at KCON is nothing short of amazing~!
TIPS TO SURVIVE KCON:
1. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes- You will, I repeat, you WILL be walking or running EVERYWHERE. Your feet will have a lot of ground to cover.
2. Drink water! No matter if you are indoors or outdoors, it is important to stay hydrated, even if you do not think you are thirsty, DRINK WATER!
3. EAT! It is easy to forget to eat while you are at the KCON, but remember to keep your body nourished while
you run around and have a great time!
4. Drink orange juice, Emergen-C, or eat anything with vitamin C to boost your immune system- You will be surrounded by A LOT of people. I ended up getting really sick after KCON, so make sure to keep your body healthy and your immune system up!
5. Bring hand sanitizer! As I have said above, you will be around a lot of people- CLEAN HANDS ARE HAPPY HANDS.
6. Bring cough drops- If you are a screamer or talker like I am, these will be very helpful to keep your throat from being scratchy and sore!
7. Bring a portable charger! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH! Your phone WILL DIE and there might not be a wall plug available to charge your phone. I suggest getting a phone case that also charges your phone! It is very convenient and not bulky! You can purchase them on amazon for a reasonable price!
8. Bring cash!!! This is another point I want to stress! Some booths will take cards, but not all of them, so make sure you have cash on you!
9. Bring a small backpack to put all of your necessities in! It is easy and convenient to carry around!
10. Use COLORFUL ribbon to tie on your backpack- This worked out nicely last year with my friends and I when we lost each other.
11. Bring sunscreen! For both N.Y. and L.A. you will be in the sun! If you plan on doing meet and greets (for L.A. goers) you will be lined up OUTSIDE to go into the meet and greet and there is LIMITED SHADE!
12. Keep updated on KCONUSAs twitter and check with staff about meet and greet times! Last year I missed the opportunity to meet Zion T. & Crush because the meeting changed times the day of and I did not know about it- so make sure you know all of the times the day of!
13. If you do not like the meet and greet you get, you can usually find someone to trade with! Usually people will meet right outside of the pickup spot for your tickets! I was able to trade my meet and greet last year for a group I really wanted to see and it worked out very nicely!
14. Bring deodorant and perfume (a small plastic bottle is perfect)- You will sweat from running around and being outside, and it doesn’t hurt to smell extra nice when you meet your favorite idols!
15. Bring gum! If you like to chew gum, I suggest bringing some especially if you get nervous meeting idols! It will calm your nerves and freshen your breath all at the same time!
16. Wait to get all of your merch towards the end of the day or on the first day of KCON! It is a huge hassle to carry everything around. Your arms will thank you!
17. DO NOT buy posters the day of the concerts- It is easy to forget that you have them and they will get crinkled! Try getting all easily damaged merch the first day of KCON (the day the convention opens but not the concerts).
18. Make sure to check all of the booths out! They give a lot of free stuff and have raffles!
19. Keep your eyes PEELED for activities in the convention! (Idols will make appearances in the convention for various events or even just to talk around!)
20. Last but not least, BE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 9 times out of 10, if you are nice to someone they will
be nice right back. Let’s all have a happy and safe time at KCON!